Brief update: 22/5 - Night ride into London and a lot learnt
I'm alive and awake! Friday night was a tough night. I'll put up a full run down in the next couple of days, but my night was something like the:
- Good start and first 60 miles or so, see people drinking on a Friday night out in Lincoln.
- Head out on some good roads, test bits of the route and enjoy the lack of traffic.
- Turn south - hit by 9 hours of 5-15mph headwinds and around 6 hours of rain
- Ged joined me for the last limp into London after burning way too many calories fighting the wind.
|A Ged. Lead out my to knacked legs on the Mall.|
What I've learnt.
- Core temperature is the hardest thing to control on these rides.
- Hydration when all shops are closed at 3.30am turns you into the garden tap tinkerer.
- Changing the route from LEL to a faster route taking the dark and A-roads into account makes a lot more sense
- A414/M11 roundabout = death.
- London Cycle Superhighway is great, but a lot of lights.
- Met some interesting people at 24 hour garages and LBS's.
- Sleep wasn't too much of an issue, least not as much as I thought it would be.
- London drivers are crap.